Oh my. I am pleased with this. And I bet that after all the moaning and promising and endless ‘going on’ about the orchard bank you are too… it’s done.
I’m crouched over this teensy screen of a computer squinting at a zillion photos of my work and wondering if any of you have an appetite for seeing more than one.
That’s the problem with days and days of weeding. You get a bit excited by what is basically a very long bank with similar plants.
My chances of photographic delights are not going to be high, I fear.
There is the jungle of eragrostis curvula grasses.
Grown a bit too tall and shading out the lovely ballota pseudodictamnus plants beside them. And a few phlomis that I’m thrilled have survived. Remember, everything on this bank I either grew from seed or propagated. Investment in funds, zilch.
Time. Well we never count that.
Then gently pruning the spent flower stalks of the ballota so I can have a larger more handsome shot for the photos.
Los and lots of weeding.
Poor trees. Their guards (against deer) were a delightful climbing frame for the endless bindweed that covers this bank.
But in terms of maintenance, I think I got away lightly. Two big days here at the end of the season. Early season work to cut back the grasses. And mulching.
I didn’t mulch thickly enough.
The lusty growth down the far end near the stables (with an underground spring no less at the base of the wall) meant I never had a chance of enjoying the lovely vista of shrubs among the fruit trees.
So it will be the illicit forays up to the depot in the near year for me.
And I think I will have to work hard around July and stop the eragrostis grasses from flowering. Keeping them smaller might do the trick.
Remind me next summer.